Holiday season is here and you know what that means… parties, dinners, parties, happy hours, dinners, etc. etc. etc. etc. We figure you’re going to be dinner-jammed for the next few weeks, so we made this list of our favorites to help make sure you have the most delicious holiday. From entertaining the parents/in-laws to dranks with your coworkers, we’ve got ya covered. Photo credit above: Jason Varney
The In-Laws/Your Parents:
Long story short, the meals gotta be great, the service has to be seamless, and it shouldn’t be crazy expensive. The trick here is to leave no reason for complaints people!
Photo credit (left) Jason Varney, Zahav. Photo (right) taken by Philly-ism, Salatim with Hummus and Lafta
- Our top favorites (that hardly need introductions) include Stateside for a delicousnessly trendy feast, Zahav for all things Israeli, or Parc for a super fancy french evening.
- If you’ve got some time to kill with a lady or two, La Petite Dauphine does an afternoon tea service that’s fun and casual in all the right ways. Details on that here!
- Southwark is a low-key place with a cozy atmosphere, oldschool/outrageous cocktails, and perty decent prices.
Dinner with that obligatory friend/couple:
We’ve all got em’ and you have to fit them in somewhere this season. Keep things interesting and do something different a.k.a. head somewhere with plenty of shiny things/distractions.
Photos taken by Philly-ism, 100% wood oven at Nomad Pizza and the Spicy Soppressata Roman Style
- Farmers Cabinet is a great “let’s just do drinks and apps” place with live music most nights for easy listening.
- Beau Monde = crepes + family room ambiance + L’etage cabaret show upstairs. A.k.a. completely awesome.
- Nomad Pizza makes a mean pie, plus they’ve got Sunday movie nights upstairs. Get ya pizza pics here.
Group O’ Friends:
If you’re heading out for a friend-tastic holiday dinner, you want somewhere that will handle your drunkness/loud laughter, somewhere that’s reasonably priced, and maybe even somewhere with a price fix so your friend that usually figures out the bill can have a break.
Photo credit (both) Jason Varney, Percy Street BBQ and tons of meat
You’ve got two obvious options for this Christmas 1) Grab the movie Love Actually and sushi take out or 2) Head out to a warm/cozy place for some Holiday romance.
Photo credit (both) Jason Varney, Lemon Hill Bar and Boulevardier
- Barbuzzo always makes us feel all warm and fuzzy/want to touch the people we’re with. Sit at the bar or kitchen counter for some up close and personal time. Everything there is amazing, especially the pizza and cheese plates.
- Bibou lets you impress her with French things. Like, super impress her.
- Umai Umai is the sushi place of all sushi places and also a BYO (or BYOSB which means bring your own sake bombs to us). They also offer takeout. Sushi pics and umai-isms here. Hint: order 1 of everything.
- Lemon Hill’s working with a solid drink menu and offering “Dinner for 2″ specials that rotate weekly.
Get Drunk with Your Coworkers:
This is one time of year when everyone gets prettty drunk-ish. Head somewhere that’s either cheap, supa fancy, or a place in between that’s jusssst right.
Photos (both) courtesy of XIX Philadelphia.
- Sugars, aka the old Sugar Moms, located on Church Street in Old City is a circus-esque bar tucked away in an old Sugar Mill and full of oddities. It’s a huge space so it’s perfect for large groups, and there are all sorts of wacky places to sit (including a grand piano, bumper cars, and horses).
- Oscars (Tavern) is our favorite dive bar with $2.50 16 oz domestics, tons of greasy food and a warm vibrante atmosphere. Get free swag if you go on Wednesdays.
- Nineteen (XIX) has an amazing view and reasonable happy hour with $6 cocktails & wines plus $4 beers. They’re open on Christmas Day this year with a pay as you go holiday menu. Oh yeah and it’s gorgeous.
- Brauhaus Schmitz has tons of big tables and a German HH like no other with rare beers and sausage sandwiches on special. Get on the bandwagon and learn more here.
Welp, there ya have it! Throw us some of your favorite places and happpppy holidays everyone!!
Other amazing posts: